Therapeutic exercises are different from what most people think of exercise. Therapeutic exercises are specific exercises meant for correcting specific problems. The focus of Therapeutic exercises is on regaining flexibility, strength and endurance related to specific physical problems
What is Therapeutic Exercise?
Therapeutic exercise is the systematic and planned performance of body movements or exercises which aims to improve and restore physical function. Exercise is defined as “activity that is performed or practiced to develop or improve a specific function or skill to develop and maintain physical fitness
Aims of Therapeutic Exercise
- The ultimate goal of a therapeutic exercise program is the achievement of an optimal level of symptoms free movement during basic to complex physical activities.
- To improve and restore physical function.
- To prevent loss of function.
- To enhance a patient’s functional capabilities.
- To prevent and decrease impairment and disability
- To improve overall health status, fitness and sense of well-being
Types of Therapeutic Exercises
Therapeutic exercises are classified according to the aim and purpose of the exercises into many types:
- Range of motion exercises which aim to maintain and increase range of motion as traditional ROM exercises (passive, active and active assisted ROM exercises) and techniques of joint mobilization and soft tissue stretching.
- Muscle performance exercises to increase muscle strength, power and endurance as resisted exercises and endurance exercises.
- Postural exercises to improve posture and correct faulty posture.
- Balance and coordination exercises to improve balance and coordination.
- Relaxation exercises to induce relaxation.
- Area specific exercises as breathing exercises and circulatory exercises.
Alliant Physical Therapists will determine the type of Exercises that you need to regain the level of activity that you were accustomed to prior to your injury. Alliant Therapists will also prescribe exercises that meet your short term as well as long term goals.
Alliant Physical Therapy – Giving you back your ING